I too recall that studies did show resolution of fever and pain in 48- 60 hours with strep. However that begs the question which is, if the rationale for treating is to shorten the illness, reduce symptoms and allow a parent to return to work sooner, why don't we look for all the other bacterial agents that cause pharyngitis? Wouldn't their treatmant also be rationalized using the same paradigm?

Marty
Martin Herman, M.D.
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Sacred Heart Children's Hospital