Charlie,

Given I'm not as skilled as some of our learned linguists here, but I
would imagine there are many ways to express the like-concept. For one,
you could use an expression that is not directly relatable, but covers
the same idea, such as "under the sun" or "in nature" or something of
that sort. Then, of course, there might be something more complex. Say,
if your people live in tents: "beyond the tent" or "on/above the
heavenly sward." I would suppose, to some extent, you have to consider
how often a culture would use the term (often this dictates it's length,
as shorter terms tend to be more often used), and their perspective
(really) on the "outdoors." Meaning, in the case of say Dothraki (and
not to step on Mr. Peterson's toes--I apologise for being so
presumptuous), they might say "where the horses graze," or, to be more
true to the culture as I've (thus far) read of it: "beneath the sight of
the moon." Where Tolkien's Eldar (Elves) might say "under the shining
stars." I really think it depends on the culture and what their values,
sensibilities, beliefs, etc are.

Hope that helps. All the best.

--
Sincerely,
J. M. DeSantis

Website: jmdesantis.com <http://www.jmdesantis.com>
Figmunds: figmunds.com <http://www.figmunds.com>
Game-Flush (A Humorous Video Game Site): game-flush.com
<http://www.game-flush.com>

<http://www.game-flush.com>