As a phonologist by training and profession, I am deeply offended by your
lack of enthusiasm for phonology. (Just kidding.)

If phonology gets you down, don't start with phonology. Work out ideas for
morphosyntax using "placeholders"--morphemes from your native language or
languages that you know. You'll have to come to grips with the phonology
eventually when you start making up words, but having a head start on some
interesting grammatical structures might make it easier to work out.

I also wouldn't worry about making the phonology interestingly different
from English--at least at first. As you get more familiar with your
project, you'll have a better feel for what sounds right. And if it sounds
a lot like English-Spanish-German, that's okay. You'll have something that
those languages *don't* have, and that's a grammar that is different from
all three.

There are plenty of word-form generators out there as well, if you really
don't want to have to think about it at all. I'm sure Gary will have
something to say; he's a notorious phonology curmudgeon round these parts.
:-)

Dirk

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Daniel Burgener <[log in to unmask]