Daniel,

I think that if phonology is not your interest, then you can more or less
ignore it.  Pick a subset of English sounds that you like, add a different
emphasis (perhaps the first syllable of every word is stressed?) or a
stringent consonant/vowel structure (perhaps as simple as
Consonant-Vowel-Consonant-Vowel) and I feel like you could have something
that doesn't feel too much like English but is still simple to pronounce
for English speakers.

When I created my primary language I really didn't pay much attention to
phonology.  Over time, as my interest and aptitude developed, I
incorporated more and more exotic (relative to American English) sounds.
As a result, my conlang Angosey has a core of easy to pronounce words,
followed by a layer influenced by Kiswahili, then a layer influenced by
Korean.  One can then back-historicize this as stages in the language's
development.

The great thing about conlanging is that there is no instruction manual.

Danny