On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Matthew Boutilier
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> turkish.
>
> the man car's
> >

> adamı arabası
> man-GEN car-his

Except here man is marked a genative.  In the system I was thinking of man
would be un marked.  Only car would be marked.

> without the -GEN on man (i.e. adam arabası) you'd get a kind of
> *generalized
> * genitive, i.e. not "the man's car" or "a man's car" as above, but "the
> man-car" or "men's car," exactly how we say "the men's (rest)room."

Whic is more the kind of marking I was lookig for, but not quite the sort
of meaning.  Still it's quite close.

> This kind of possessee marking is common in Afro-Asiatic languages.
> >

> it is?? following is the construct state example in arabic:
>
> sayyāratu (a)l-rajuli
> car-NOM the-man-GEN
>
> which seems to be the syntactical reverse of what adam is looking for.
>
> matt

Indeed.  This is completely opposite of what I meant.

Adam