this does, indeed, seem to be the sort of thing I was looking for.  I knew
it had to be out there.  I like this arrangement and am planning to
implementit in a new lang.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Leland Kusmer
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Arnt Richard Johansen <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This kind of possessee marking is common in Afro-Asiatic languages.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construct_state
> >

> Beat me to it. (As did several other folks as I wrote this email.)
>
> The only examples I have on hand are from Ge'ez (Ethiopic):
>
> _wald-a        negus_
> son-CONS   king
> "son of the king" / "the king's son"
>
> _qalat-a         nabiy_
> words-CONS  prophet
> "the words of the prophet" / "the prophet's words"
>
> My absolute favorite example is how "Son of Man" (the title commonly
> used for Jesus) is translated into Ge'ez  as four nouns, the first
> three in construct:
>
> _walda 'egwala 'emma-Heyaw_
> son.CONS offspring.CONS mother.CONS living
> "the son of the offspring of the mother of the living"
>
> (Where "mother of the living" is a common epithet for Eve.)
>
> -Leland

Funny that.  Wouldn't Heyaw by itself be cognate with Eve?  The Hebrew is
Chava IINM and means, simply, "living."

Adam