On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Thus,I'm using distinct lexical sets for BIT and KIT (due to South African
>> dialect),
>>

> that'snot a phoneme split afaik

As I read, I think it is yet not clear if kit-bit split uis really a split.
But I decided to consider it a real split due to this párt of the text I
read: "generally before /ʃ/ (*fish*), and by some speakers before /tʃ, dʒ/".

It is usually predictable when it is pronounced [ɪ] and when [ə], but not
always (what can be perceived by the words "generally" and "by some
speakers").

I will be interested. But the decision to select just the ten varieties on
> the Wikipedia page somewhat reduces the interest from what it might
> otherwise have been.
>
> --And.

I only reduced to these ten because this is the dataset I have available
for my project. If I could find a larger one, then my project would be more
complete.