On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 5:39 PM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I will be interested. But the decision to select just the ten varieties on
> the Wikipedia page somewhat reduces the interest from what it might
> otherwise have been.
>
> --And.

Below is an idea I had:

  Lexical Set

+ onset-r

+coda-r

Possible orthographies

1

PALM

  START

lax-A?

2

NOW

  HOUR

OU/OW?

3

LAD

MARRY

  lax-A?

4

BAD

  lax-A?

5

CLOTH

MORAL

NORTH?

lax-O

6

THOUGHT

  NORTH?

AU/AW

7

DRESS

MERRY

HERD

lax-E

8

STRUT

BOROUGH

NURSE

lax-U

9

CUTE

PURE

tense-U/EU/EW

10

SIDE

FIRE

tense-I

11

CHOICE

  LOIR

OI

12

BIT

MIRROR

BIRD

lax-I?

13

KIT

  GIRL

lax-I?

14

FOOT

COURIER

POOR

OO?

15

GOOSE

  OO?

16

TOE

MORE

FORCE

tense-O/OA

17

TOW

  OU/OW?

18

MEET

  SEER

EE

19

MEAT

  NEAR

tense-E/EA/AE

20

PANE

SQUARE

tense-A

21

PAIN

  LAIR

AI

A few observations must be made about the table above.

   1. some spaces I left in blank because I could not remember an example;
   2. Every tense vowel group uses the same lexical set for "+ onset-r" and
   for "+ coda-r", except for tense-o group. This is what I noted, but maybe I
   could have noted that wrongly;
   3. Some orthographies are with "?", these are due to splits that caused
   some conflict (except NORTH), e.g. tense-A is used for PALM, LAD and BAD,
   OO for GOOSE and FOOT, OU/OW for NOW and TOW, and lax-I for KIT and BIT.
   Some changes MUST be made, for instance I thought that /uː/ should be
   represented as a "tense"-OO, thus GOOSE, and /ʊ/ as a "lax"-U, thus FOOT,
   but that's only an idea;
   4. Four lexical sets were suppressed: BATH, LOT, PUT and THREW. They
   were suppressed because they are pronounced as one lexical set in some
   dialects and as another in others, e.g. BATH is suppressed due to PALM and
   LAD, LOT due to CLOTH and THOUGHT, PUT due to STRUT and FOOT, and THREW due
   to GOOSE and CUTE. The solution for these suppressed lexical sets would be
   different orthografies depending on the dialect, like nowadays happens with
   color/colour, gray/grey and jail/gaol;
   5. There are five more lexical sets for reduced vowels: COMM*A*, *E*MISSION,
   HAPP*Y*, *O*MISSION, and a non-rhotic equivalent to NAT*U*RE (and their
   rhotic equivalents);
   6. I can't verify if NORTH would be a rhotic equivalent to CLOTH or to
   THOUGHT;
   7. IE is also a possible orthography, that could be in MEET lexical set
   (BEL*IE*VE) or in SIDE, but only in the end of the word (D*IE*). I don't
   know which lexical set I could associate it to;
   8. EI/EY is also a possible orthography, that could be in MEAT lexical
   set (S*EI*ZE, K*EY*) or in PAIN (V*EI*N**). I don't know which lexical
   set I could associate it to;
   9. OE is also a possible orthography, that could be in TOE lexical set,
   but only in the end of the word (T*OE*);
   10. UE is also a possible orthography, that could be in GOOSE lexical
   set, but only in the end of the word (TR*UE*);
   11. A friend of mine told me that alC when l became /w/, and then /aw/
   became /ɔ/ could be associated to THOUGHT lexical set, so that ALL, WALK
   and TALK would keep its spelling istead of becoming AUL, WAUK and TAUK.

I still have some problems, the main ones are:

   1. Demonstrate which vowels are reduced and which are not, without
   changing their orthography or using diacritics;
   2. Separate digraphs from diphthongs. Using diaresis, like in French?
   "naïve"?
   3. How to write words with stress in a syllable that is not the first
   one? And how to write words with secondary stress?

I hope you like the idea,

Any help is pretty much welcome,

 Best regards,

Hugo Cesar