On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM, Gary Shannon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm sure this is a tangent and possibly semi-off topic, but how cool
> would it be to get some kind of electronic gadget that could reproduce
> various birds sounds by twisting knobs and pushing buttons. It would
> have to be hand-held and with the kind of button arrangement used on
> game controllers you it could be manipulated quickly and fluidly to
> produce a huge variety of sound sequences. Then build a conlang around
> that "phonology".
>
> In fact, you wouldn't necessarily have to be limited to bird sounds.
> You could include buttons for white noise shots, light bell-like
> tinkles, spectrum-sweeping "whoop-whoops", and whatever the
> imagination could conjure up. Now imagine two people having an
> animated conversation using a pair of such "language" devices. That
> just sounds really exciting! :)

Yes, this sounds really nice indeed:) In fact, we do, or at least did have
something alike - for instance, military commands given by pipe and tabor.
Not really a language, but an improvement to it was and is definitely
possible. Or the tamtam telegraph, which was used to transfer a more
complex data.

And I'm afraid this gives me an idea...