George Corley, On 28/03/2012 20:22:
> Wait, what?  I suppose you could ask the creator.  Or are you creating this
> "Old European" yourself?

Old Albic (and the hypothesized Hesperic and Europic families) is Joerg's creation. As a conlang it is IMO quite conspicuously interesting because it fuses orthodox linguistic scholarship with conlanging: Joerg tries to make Old Albic consistent with what we know about Old European and Insular Celtic and with what we might expect Early Europic lgs to be like. (It also has a secondary aim of fashioning a 'real world' -- conhistorical -- counterpart of the Eldar, which to my thinking conflicts with the other aim somewhat unsatisfactorily (tho certainly no less unsatisfactorily than the conflicting aims of my own conlang).) It's similar to Brithenig and its ilk -- conlanging that is consistent with a body of facts about particular natlangs.

I've thought over the years about doing something akin to Proto-Europic, but I don't have the dedication to do the project justice, and in my hands the project would involve larger imaginative leaps away from the terra firma of established scholarship that Joerg's Old Albic rests more securely on; it's the comparative conservatism of Joerg's approach that makes it more interesting to the audience. (I.e. I'd have more fun doing Proto-Europic my way than Joerg's, but the results are more interesting  when things are done Joerg's way.)

--And.