--- On Sat, 3/31/12, Miles Forster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> are there any languages that don't make use of
> devoicing/voicing in consonant clusters? That is, are there
> languages in which a consonant cluster such as [sb] or [pz]
> is found and where these are distinguished from the
> assimilated versions [sp]/[zb] and [bz]/[ps]?

Anian would be the best bet for such a thing among my languages, but it seems to studiously avoid VL+V consonant clusters (I'm not counting things
like K + L, because L and R (well, and other continuants) are typically syllabic and so don't really form "consonant" clusters). For that matter,
it shares with other languages of the Eastlands a marked preference for
VL consonants. D is common enough, but B is rare and I don't think I have
a G in the lexicon. Has some Vs and perhaps one Z that I can find.

Anian is otherwise rather fearless as far as consonant clusters are
concerned. Some represent actual vowelless syllables: F is the most common
of the "consonants" that form syllabic segments: F-TANUM (trisyllabic)
would be distinct from FTANUM (disyllabic). M, N, L & R commonly form
syllabic segments, either alone or in combination with one or more other
consonants. Others represent coarticulated stops or a sort of rapid fire
serial articulation of two or more stops. So, clusters like PKRINIO is
actually [p] and [k] said at the same time; but PTKRRTUM is [p-t-k]
enunciated separately but in very rapid succession with no intervening
vowel or other flow of air.

Padraic