On 29 March 2012 15:22, MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I got almost 2/3 what I got on the previous test.

That's because this test is talking about "word families", which basically
are words and their derivatives (it gives the example of "nation",
"national", "nationalise" and "international" being the same "word family",
meaning it would count as 1 in their count). I myself got an "you know at
least 19,600 word families" result, which is much less than what other
tests gave me. But even if we consider each word family to contain an
average of only 3 dictionary words, the total is much higher than whatever
I got with other tests.

So this test isn't comparable to other tests. Better compare your result it
with the one metric that it is comparable to, i.e. their own estimation of
the number of word families a native speaker knows. According to them, a
native speaker of English knows an average of 20,000 word families. In this
case, I rank comfortably within a native speaker range, which fits with my
experience of being able to read about any non-technical English book
thrown at me without having to resort to a dictionary. Also, that result is
a minimum only (the site itself says "at least" 19,600 word families). Who
knows how much higher the actual figure might be :) .
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/