--- On Sat, 3/31/12, MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Arabic is rather fearless about juxtaposing different consonants. Does
> assimilation occur?

In Anian? No -- but I d think that all the horrible clusters must be the
result of some kind of weird vowel loss back during the Old Oritanian
period. I don't know a whole lot about the language as of yet, so it is
possible that assimilations occur. I just don't know where or how or why
yet.

Of the daughter languages, some undergo considerable cluster simplification
while one or two retain a high level of complexity. For example, Anian
"tcani" (rune or wise saying) becomes "cnis" in Hoosickite; "ctlapmi"
(leg) becomes "clamen". Pendarvian is said to retain the clusters. Hecklan,
if it turns out to be a relative of Anian at all, has certainly altered
some Anian words: Anian "hhtcrmr" (city) becomes "cramion" in Hecklan.

The history of Anian, which was the native language of Oriata, one of the
Archaic Empires of the Eastlands, has a history going back some 10 to 15
thousand years. As a language of philosophical scripture, it has been quite
resistant to change, and since the destruction of Oriata and the other
ancient empires in the region, it has long since ceased to be a spoken or
living language. In this respect, it is much like Sussian, another
philosophical language of the area, though perhaps not quite so old.

Very few records of Old Oritanian are extant -- just some fragments of
monumental inscription -- and the syllabary used is not the same as that
of the later language. One fairly certain O.Or. word is HE-TUGQILLIMIILUN,
meaning "within the City". If that's the ancestor of "hhtcrmr", then
quite a lot of vowel loss and other changes have happened within the
language!

Padraic