Hallo conlangers!

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:56:43 -0700 Roger Mills wrote:

> Better watch out-- sound like something that could easily get promoted to
> natlanghood :-))))  I recall Jan van Steenbergen's Hattic tjhat elicited at
> least one such response from some researcher..........they thought it was
> Anatolian IIRC

Yes, I am a bit worried about that.  But as BPJ has said, we are
not really responsible for snafus resulting from superficial
research (though it is certainly wise to take countermeasures
in advance).  At least, it will come with a FAQ in which "Is this
real?" is the very first point, and that it is obviously about
"Elves" should raise an eyebrow.  Also, most linguists certainly
know that we really know almost nothing about pre-Celtic languages
of the British Isles, and therefore will take a description of
such a language with a healthy dose of skepticism.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:10:12 +0100 And Rosta wrote:

> Jrg Rhiemeier, On 28/03/2012 22:26:
> > It is thus my hypothesis that the "real" Elves were a civilization
> > in the British Isles.  But I know that it is just a hypothesis; it
> > could have been otherwise.
>
> Do you have views on whether the _alb_ elements of _Albion_ and _Albany_
> mean "Elf", "mountain (alp)" or "white (cliffs of Dover)"?

I fancy them to mean "Elf".  _Albion_ looks like the genitive
plural of the Elf-word to me, hence _Inis Albion_ = 'Island of
the Elves'.  The word may be related to IE *h2albh- 'white',
though.  The Proto-Europic speakers probably were the first
blond people on this planet, and would thus have been called
*Xalbas, i.e. the "white ones".  The Elves alone preserved
this endonym.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"Bsel asa m, a m atha cvanthal a cvanth atha mel." - SiM 1:1