> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:31:49 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Information-question words in subordinate clauses, indirect speech etc.
> To: [log in to unmask]

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:36:07 -0500, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:

> >For instance, in the equivalents of

> >1. Where is the restroom?

Ch bwnaks la cher-ha hmal?
the restroom-nom. aux.-pres. where be.at-interrogative?

> >2. "Where is the restroom?" he asked.

Ch bwnaks la cher-ha hmal? sb l naf.
the restroom-nom. aux.-pres. where be.at-interrogative? he-nom. aux.-past ask.

> >3. He asked where the restroom was.

> If the original statement was Where is the restroom?:

Sb l, g ch bwnaks la cher-ha himal sho, naf.
he-nom. past, THAT the restroom-nom. pres. where be.at-discoursive SHO, ask

> If the original statement was Where was the restroom? (i.e., its been
> moved; where was it before?)

Sb l, g ch bwnaks l cher-ha himal sho, naf.
he-nom. past, THAT the restroom-nom. past. where be.at-discoursive SHO, ask

> >4. I didn't know where the restroom was. (where is it now?)

F l, g ch bwnaks la cher-ha himal sho, sferl.
I-nom./negative past, THAT the restroom-nom. pres. where be.at-discoursive SHO, know.

> (where did it used to be?)

F l, g ch bwnaks l cher-ha himal sho, sferl.
I-nom./negative past, THAT the restroom-nom. past where be.at-discoursive SHO, know.

> >5. This is the house where Shakespeare was born.

Ch hengebs la ch bbs, chbv Shksprs l ften sho, ni.
the this-nom. pres. the house-nom., which-locative Shakespeare-nom. past be.born SHO, be.

> Charlie

Chl ngarebszh lat, zgdekh cha pthens zaurn la gaief sho, dnf.
the-dual dog-nom./dual pres./passive, where the fern-nom. red-nom. pres. grow SHO, bury.

The (2) dogs are buried where the red fern grows.

Zgdekh makhlama la se rhebuthset hautel (sho), makhlama la re sethet ba ndezh ba kfauhz hedaikh.
where wwe-nom. pres. indef.-art disease-acc. see-speculative (SHO), we-nom. pres. in.order.(to) it-acc. BA cure BA do.one's.best should-conclusive

Where we see disease, we should work to cure it.

Kou