> does assimilation occur in Arabic when consonants of different
> voicing are juxtaposed?

arabic does not have /p/, so, so much for that part of the question. this
is going to be a pretty non-technical answer, but after going through my
mental 'sound clips' i'm going to say that syllable final consonant
clusters (since the maximum syllable is CV(:)CC) do *not* have voicing
assimilation going on except for /r/, which has a voiceless allophone when
it follows voiceless consonants. thus
/badr/ "full moon" = [bædr], but
/fitˤr/ "breakfast" = [fɪtˤr̥]
contrast with, e.g., the voiced /ʕ/ and voiceless /ħ/ pharyngeal
fricatives, which are well distinguished after voiced and voiceless cluster
onsets alike:
/rubʕ/ "one-fourth" = [ɾʊbʕ], but
/sˤubħ/ "morning" = [sˤʊbħ].
same goes for [zt] vs. [st], etc. i'm having difficulty coming up with
examples ending in /ts/ and /tz/.

matt