I have been staying inn Poland during the latest months and I'm soon going down there again. Being here in Uppsala I ntice a much bigger presence of English than down in Jelenia Góra. I see much more English on signs and in shopwindows than I will do down in Poland. Often I see Sale instead of Swedish "Rea" (from "realisation", a sell out, I think, making cash of the stocks you have). In the parts of Poland that I'm in, you will se very little english on signs and shops. As I understand the young generation learns English but id doesn't show as much as it does here.

On the other hand Polsih imports from English are sometimes rather surprizing. You can see advertizing for instruction in foreign languages where they cite like an asset that the organization in question has got "native speakery" (!) which I have never seen in Swedish ads of the same kind.

On TV I can see "News", which I have never seen on a Swedish channel, they will have "Nytt"!

If I'd be allowed to be very personal, I am very depressed about the fact that they using am and pm instead of the 24 h clock that I always used in Swedish. To me this smells of 19th century. I have 24 h clock in my mail program, I have gmail, but on all other google things I use there is am and pm, and I have not found out how to change that.

I understand that in the US am and pm are standard, and that you feel the 24h clock to be as strange and artificial as I find the am and pm thing.

I will have ot accept it as a fact of life!

Regards

Kjell R

Den 12 april 2012 23:17 skrev Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]>:
On 4/8/12, Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hehe, until the English speakers have adopted another international
> language that we foreingers would like to use, they will have  to stand our
> terrible version of English. But this is nothing unique for English. A lot
> of grown-ups are lerning Swedish, and it is not always according to the
> grammar and pronunciation that we know, but now that's just like it is. As
> long as you understand, the difference between a Nateve english Dialekt and
> my accent is probably that you will understand me better!
>
> And imagine when they start generally speaking Continental (European)
> English!

But they won't--not for several decades at least. There is little
reason for the convergence of such disparate idiolects, and to the
extent it does happen, it will be regional: Scandinglish will join the
ranks of Singlish, Hinglish, et al.

How about something different? Why not try a Bad English that is
coherent, global in scope, and designed for ease of learning and use?
Why not encourage native anglophones to use it as well, thus leveling
the playing field so that everyone is dealing with a foreign language?

And, though it may be vanity on my part, why not call it Inlis?

I'll respond to your post about the impossibility of modifying English
soon, but it will be much longer, unfortunately. The problem is that
some modifications are unworkable, while others are completely
practicable--and this is relevant, among other things, to the
Papiamentu proposal we saw earlier.

Steve