On 4/11/12, Kapitano Hadoko <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I was a member of Auxlang twenty years ago. I'm just stopping by to give you
> some downloads, if you want them.

Thanks! I have hardcopies of some of these, but PDFs are handy.

> There's been photocopies of conland and auxlang stuff cluttering up my room
> for, well, twenty years. Now I'm forced to finally throw them away for
> reasons of space.
>
> But I've scanned some of the more useful/interesting ones, and put them up
> as PDFs for you. Specifically:
>
> * Eh May Ghee Cha, by Elmer Hankes

I have _Enterprises of Great Pith and Moment_, which launched "Em Sigh
Ay," as it was originally called. I've wondered about the new version.
Will no one ever tell him that the English vowel system is a lousy
model for auxlangs?

> * Interlingua, by Alexander Gode

Book. It's also available online, I think.

> * Loglan (article), by James Cooke Brown

Photocopy.

> * Speedwords, by Reginald Dutton

I didn't have this one!

> * The Basis of Pikto, by John E Williams

Photocopy. Actually, there are some points of interest here, even
apart from the pasigraphy.

> * Volapuk, by Alfred Kierchhoff

I think I have a copy of this, but I'd have to dig around.

> Plus an Esperano rhyming dictionary I made a few years ago.

Generally useful. Thanks.

> http://speedy.sh/AWRBW/Auxlang-Bundle.rar
>
> It'll be available for the next 30 days. Consider it my thankyou for an
> enjoyably mis-spent youth, and excellent training what I ended up doing:
> Teaching English as a second language.

Concerning the legal aspect here:

1. The download is not available long-term, so I don't see a major
problem. The files may eventually wind up on permanent display
somewhere, but even then there probably won't be an issue.

2. The fundamental concern for copyright--the thing that leads to
lawsuits, fines, and such--is damaging the copyright holder's ability
to profit from the work. I doubt this is going to cost anyone
anything, and lawyers will not venture where there is no scent of
money. And Kapitano isn't charging anything, so he's not profiting
either, which could lead to a fine.

Consider a common and quite actionable counter-example: To reduce
costs, teachers (especially at the university level) sometimes
photocopy part of a textbook for a class. They don't need all the
content, but a chapter or two may be especially useful. Now, that's
personal scholarly use (more or less), but it reduces textbook sales
and so damages the profitability of the textbook, which hurts the
publisher more than the author most of the time.

(The legal solution is to put the textbook on reserve at the library
so students can read it and take notes.)

Anyway, whoever may hold whatever copyright may exist is not being
harmed by this, so the chance of spawning lawyers is minimal. Nor is
this like the usual "warez" argument, whereby people copy and use
computer games that have been "abandoned" by their publishers: there's
no "scholarly use" in those cases.

3. Technically, the responsibility rests with the uploader, not the
downloader. It's the one who makes files available who tends to come
to grief. Again, I doubt that will happen here.

4. As to morality/ethics, I suspect that most auxlangers (or
conlangers in general) would rather see their work disseminated free
than languish unread. They're like regular writers (at least fiction
writers) in that respect. This is why most modern auxlangers make
their work available online at no charge. You occasionally will find
"All rights reserved" tacked on to an auxlang work, but I think that
was just a matter of following prevailing custom. (The exception is a
text written by a third party--a textbook, translation, etc., written
by a user rather than by the creator of the auxlang. That is a
legitimate case of copyright, if the author wishes. Even the creator
may reasonably seek copyright for such works, as Zamenhof for his
translations.)

Steve