On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do you judge that the english phenomenon has to do with the  semantics of
> the first person, which is what your ObCL asks about? Or could it rather
> have to do with the semantics of pregnancy, such that a biologically
> pregnant person's partner counts as socially pregnant?

I have this usage (though I wouldn't describe my family as "fairly
liberal", if that matters), and I think that the "social pregnancy"
explanation is best. I couple that says "we are pregnant" is expressing
their mutual involvement in the pregnancy. I've also heard this usage at
least once from a *homosexual* couple who was having a surrogate pregnancy.

Going all the way to *I am pregnant* strikes me as anomalous, though.

--
JS Bangs
http://jsbangs.wordpress.com

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle" -Philo of
Alexandria