-----Original Message-----
From: Constructed Languages List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Puey McCleary
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Whale of a Tale

..., one reason why I like Jonah is that it's challenge was fairly one
dimensional. One reason I like Ruth is because the problem is almost
entirely cultural.

I once taught a class entitled "The Novels of the Old Testament".  Included,
besides Jonah and Ruth, were Esther, The Song of Songs, Tobit, Daniel, and
Judith.  I think each of these would present both a challenge and a delight
to the translator.  "Esther" with its Persian flavor, "The Song of Songs"
with its intense poetry, "Daniel" with its symbolism.  I am currently
translating on "The Song of Songs" into Senjecas.  I am treating it, not as
a work to be enculturated into the Sefdaanian culture, but as an attempt to
convey in Senjecas the Hebrew ethos.

Charlie