2012/5/9 Allison Swenson <[log in to unmask]>:
> Somewhat, yes. The speakers of this conlang are much longer-lived than
> humans, so they typically would have little accent (as most adults would've
> been speaking English for longer than the average human lifespan!), but my
> conlang has a limited number of phonemes, so I'd imagine they'd have quite
> a bit of difficulty pronouncing some of the ones that are farther from
> Tirina, such as [ʧ]. They also tend to pronounce their t's and d's in a
> "soft" way (tending toward "th"), so I imagine getting a hard "t" or "d"
> out would be difficult.

I guess that if they are more long-lived than humans *and didn't speak the
human language very often* they would have a *double* accent: that of their
native language *and* that of the human language as it sounded at the
time they learnt it.  Madeline Palmer addressed that aspect of her dragons'
accent when speaking human languages, which I thought was very nice!

As some of you may remember I played around with adapting list members'
names to Sohlob phonology and transcription. Ay vondar ef zæd vud ækæyoræytlæy
riflext haw æ Sohlçan vud ispig Ingliç. Zæy vud probæblæy hæf an isiyer taym
adæfting tu Ingliç fownowtæxtixs dæn tu ze fownæyms. Ay olsow vondar ef
zæy riliy kud nad bræyg friy af vawal harmownæy. Zæd vud sertenliy mæyk
zær æxsant læs feniy!

I've actually been thinking about how a Yahab accent of Sohlob would sound.
Could they cope with nasal and oral stops in the same word, and how?

And a Rhodrese accent of English? Both like and unlike a French
accent, probably.

/bpj