That Hollywood Brit playing a Russian submarine commander is actually Scottish.

And then there's that Spanish Highlander role...

Lee
________________________________
From: Sam Stutter
Sent: 5/9/2012 6:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cockney glottal

I think (think) I can differentiate between Sydney and Melbourne accents. And I'm almost certain I speak Spanish with a Catalan-speaking-region accent (heavens knows how).

> Before asking about Badger on the list, I (an American) had no idea what a Cockney accent was, or that it in fact existed.

Wow. Didn't you just classify it as "the English accent which isn't posh?"

> Now, am I right in saying that the character Rose from Dr. Who also has a Cockney accent?

Yes

Remember folks, Hollywood Brits aren't just geniuses. Some of them are *evil* geniuses or scoundrels. Others are Russian submarine commanders (go figure - I wonder what it is about British actors that makes Hollywood producers think "hey, that guy would make a great Russian!").

> One of my fellow English teachers tried to teach me a British accent once.
I forget what part of England she was from, but anyway.  I had some
trouble, and so we found ourselves standing in the stairwell repeating
"wanker" back and forth.  All at once we both recognized the absurdity of
our situation.

Was it a Geordie accent, √°-la Cheryl Cole (the one who was fired from America's Got Talent for being incomprehensible)?

Sam Stutter
"No e na'l cu barri"