I've been thinking about my "next" lang (I might never do anything about it, I might do something else entirely different, and nothing is set in stone) and I wanted to do something familiar but unfamiliar; hence I was thinking about an ergative-absolutive system.

Then I wondered if a verb would conjugate for the absolutive noun rather than the subject noun (as it would in nominative-accusative); I haven't really studied a system like this in much detail, so this is pure extrapolation. Then I wondered if a verb might plausibly conjugate for the object of a transitive construction and the subject for intransitive or, more interestingly, not conjugate for intransitive constructions (having some sort of zero form) *in a nominative-accusative language*.

He(nom) grows(agree-he)
He(nom) sees(agree-her) her(acc)

Under the situation where a language has no real case system (i.e. English, by and large), relying upon word order, could this still plausibly work? And where the word order functions as it would in a nominative-accusative system but the verb conjugates as if it were ergative-absolutive, how would the language be classified?

She grows
I sees she

(easier to show in Spanish)

ella crece