I've combined the previous posts into one file, with a few changes, at

http://qiihoskeh.conlang.org/cl/o/Apr20/ApNotes.htm

Here's some new material, not yet converted to HTML:

Apr20 Modality and Evidentiality

Physical possibility and physical necessity are marked using the suffixes -POT and -NEC, respectively while social and logical possibility and necessity are specified using auxiliary predicates. Evidentials are also specified using auxiliary predicates. These auxiliaries are usually impersonal, but don't have to be. The auxiliaries include:

	PRM	social possibility
	REQ	social necessity
	DUB	logical possibility
	DED	logical necessity
	CTF	contrafactual		--- ?
	IMP	imperative		--- ?
	WIT	witnessed		--- possibly not needed
	HRS	hearsay

The complement clause of a social modal is cotemporal with the auxiliary while that of a logical modal or an evidential is independent of the auxiliary's, which is usually absolute present.

    John-i o-swim-POT-Di.	"John can swim."
    John-i swim-Di C-o-PRM.	"John is allowed to swim."
    John-i swim-Di C-b-PRM-1.	"I required John to swim."
    John-i o-swim-Di C-DUB.	"John might be swimming."

The imperative mood is either an auxiliary used like a logical modals or a particle (that nevertheless can take the negation suffix -NEG); I'm not sure which.

    (C-)IMP swim-2!		"Swim!"

I haven't determined how contrafactual mood will be indicated.

--
neogu