Aargh! It's not even "cockney", it's just non-prestige. The amount of times I hear aspirational mothers tell their children ::middle class Suffolk accent:: (presumably they've just been teleported up North in search of a Waitrose) "no Jeremiah, darling, it's "butter" not "bu'eh"", and then I (with my distinctly middle class Cheshire accent), deliberately say "buh'uh" in their general presence :)

Aargh! Why does every American think all of Britain is London and that there are only two accents!!! :D

Sam Stutter
"No e na'l cu barri"