what was the nature of these stab wounds??  "shanks", or homemade knives
common in prison (in South Africa the Tsotsis, gangs, use bicycle spokes
that are shrapened) can make very deep, small holes and that could lead to
what Darrell proposes.
saw a lot of these injuries where i went to med school, we had 4 maximum
security prisons, and they can be VERY hard to find and cause lots of
damage...the guys using them are pretty "good" at what they do!
mike falk.