I agree with the previous posters. However, I do not think the worst injury is bruises and fractures. I have read, possibly seen an epidural from a fall down stairs. I think trauma activation, shouldn't be automatic based on mechanism but rather assessments. I had a baby who supposedly fell down a flight of concrete steps with a metal edge, that presented comatose. Later determined to have been beaten. If you went on history only the trauma team wouldn't have been present on his arrival. SO wouldn't it be best to have fall down stairs as a low level indicator and activation occur if the child's clinical condition meets criteria for serious injury? AMS< post traumatic seizures, altered respirations, long bone fractures, open wounds, altered vs etc?

Marty
Martin Herman, M.D.

Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Sacred Heart Children's Hospital