On 15 June 2012 00:01, Iuhan Culmærija <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> James Nicoll is said to have said that «We don't just borrow words; on
> occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
> unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary» - but I was
> (ashamedly) kinda grateful for that when I stared learning French, Latin
> (and German, to some extent).

In an attempt to re-track-down the original of that quote, I just went
and checked in on rec.arts.sf.composition for the first time in
*years*. It'[s not quite as overrun with spam as I thought. Sadly,
alt.language.artificial seems to have been completely dead for about a
year now.

On 15 June 2012 10:20, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> (Or are spectrograms the optimal writing system?)

A few weeks ago I was working on software to display audio waveforms
for a transcription / subtitle editor. While discussing the UX
justification for this, that our transcribers can quickly pick up the
ability to identify things like word breaks and fricatives vs. stops
vs. sonorants on the waveform, the story was told of a phonetics
professor who was so good that you could hand him the printout of a
waveform and he could read it off as an exact reproduction of the
original speech.

-l.