Hello everyone !

I want to talk to you about my project: A while ago, I wondered (for a story) what form would a language take if it was designed to communicate with aliens. One characteristic immediately jumped in my mind: a vocabulary as small and exhaustive as possible.

So I wondered how many root concepts could be isolated in a list (in a conlang, all the other possible words with a link with those words could be obtained by adding affixes to the root word). I couldn't find such a list, so I decided to make one.

But (and here is the technical part) to make such a list, I had to use an object-oriented approach. Think about it:

If we take the example of an object (class "artificial object"):
An artificial object has:
    _a user (class "person")
    _a maker (class "person")
    _a use (class "action")
    _a verb for using
    _a verb for making
    _ etc...

Eventually, the idea is to take a large list of words, sort them in a "class tree", and after that, link them with each other to have kind of a "concept network". That will help me isolate basic concepts.

To do this work, I'm using a list of words (a HUGE list, ~150k words (with nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc...), necessary for exhaustiveness), all in French (my native language), that I reduced from ~30k words to ~15k words for nouns (didn't process verbs or adjectives or anything else for now) by removing redundancies and invented words you'd never see in a conversation (the list was made out of lots of books, with statistics that I will use later). It's VERY long, but I really want to finish it.

This is a work that has been occupying my free time for about 2 years now, and I was wondering if anyone here ever attempted a similar approach? if you did, could you show me your list of classes? could you tell me about your results? I intend to publish mine of course, when I'm ready... but I have some tricky little problems to solve before that!

Friendly,
Yaesen