Hallo conlangers,

I tried to create a conlang (something between an artlang and an engelang),
and I wanted it to have a complex syntax, but a very simple phonology.

I wanted it to be a language that even a speaker of Rotokas could speak. I
don't care if this speaker pronounces the words wrongly, but I do care if
he reads two words and can't distinguish them (like what happens when
Chinese people read "pet" and "bet").

I tried to compare the phonemic chart of some languages and use information
from WALS in order to create something like an "intersection" of all them,
so that it would have the distinctions every language has.

The vowels were very trivial to obtained, after researching a little bit I
ended up with only two vowels (a back and a front, an open and a close,
doesn't matter).

The consonants were the more difficult one. Today, when comparing Rotokas,
Pirahã and Hawaiian I realized that "every" language has a set of stops
(usually voiceless) and a set of voiced consonants (either oral stops,
nasal consonants, fricatives/approximants, liquids, glides ...). I realized
also that the minimum amount of places of articulation is two (normally two
out of the three main places of articulation - a labial (usually bilabial),
a coronal and a dorsal one (usually velar)).

So, my conlang phonology was reduced to 6 phonemes: /æ~e~i/, /ɑ~o~u/,
/p~b~t~d/, /p~b~k~g/, /b~β~m~d~ð~z~n~l~r~j/ and /b~β~m~g~ɣ~ŋ~ɫ~ʁ~w/.

My conlang phonemes will have lots of allophones, like Rotokas, Pirahã and
Hawaiian (the consonants), and Marshallese and Ubykh (the vowels). But as I
mentioned in the beginning of this message, I don't care if someone speaks
it wrongly (I can say it is only a new dialect :)), I simply don't want
that someone could not be able to distinguish between two different words.

I want to know from you, fellow conlangers, if I was very strict when
creating this chart that I called "minimal phonemic chart" or if I could
reduce it even more?

Hugo Cesar