On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 22:08:27 -0400, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Given that bottle recovery is so high, and people are generally excited to receive one (though not always...), there is a small but real chance someone who found the bottle would be interested enough to decrypt the message and send a reply.

Perhaps!  I wonder though if they wouldn't make it out to be some manifestation of marketing, in the "alternate reality game" fashion.  Compare for instance the reactions to this:
  http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/weo8j/today_a_homeless_looking_man_handed_me_50_and/c5cpa3m

>And if conlangers in the North Carolina area (where I recently moved) are interested in flying some bottles we could always do it again!

Whereabouts exactly?  Sai and I are living in Raleigh at the moment (though we're spending the fall semester in Berkeley CA).

Alex