On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM, David McCann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:39:51 -0700
> Arthaey Angosii <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> So if antipassive voice is decreasing a monotransitive verb's valency
>> by removing the object, what's the term for decreasing a ditransitive
>> verb's valency by removing the indirect object? Or by removing both
>> the direct *and* indirect objects?
>>
> The rare applicative voice converts the indirect object into a
> direct object and deletes the original one, as in the American "I wrote
> my sister". Chamorro has a form for this.
>
> The equally rare circumstantial voice converts the indirect object into
> a subject and deletes or demotes the agent: 'I was given it". Malagasy
> has a special form.
>
> You can then combine these with the passive, as in the Kinyarwanda
> ikíbáaho ki-ra-andik-w-á-ho imibáre
> blackboard 3-PRES-write-PASS-PROG-LOC maths
> the blackboard is having maths written on it
> Yet another voice here: the locative!

You examples all involve *promoting* things into the subject position.
I was looking for a voice that deletes the *explicit* object(s) but
still grammatically marks the verb as having the same valence as
before, just with *omitted* object(s).

Here are some concrete examples:

    vorn-vyo  lór-na   likhu-nn
    man-BENEF gift-ACC give-1