Dear TEI-L,

The TEI Technical Council held a face to face meeting in Oxford
on the 19 - 21 September 2012. Oxford, as with Ann Arbor as a
location for our previous meeting, was chosen as the most
fiscally responsible location because of the number of nearby
attendees and in this case coincided with the EEBO-TCP conference
that some members of the Council were going to be attending which
resulted in further savings.

The minutes of the meeting are available at:

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Meetings/tcm52.xml

and I'd like to thank all the Council members for their
participation and continued hard work. I'd like to mention Martin
Holmes and Rebecca Welzenbach with extra thanks for the minute
taking. Martin also produced an ongoing list of actions resulting
from this meeting at:
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/Oxford2012-Actions which will be
updated as a checklist as actions are processed and tickets
resolved.

The meeting alternated in our usual fashion between discussion of
the bug and feature request tickets on sourceforge and discussion
of more general ongoing issues that have been raised with the TEI
Technical Council.

Some of the general discussion highlights included:

- Lou Burnard's proposal for resolving the so-called 'Durand
Conundrum'.

- A reminder of the pending removal of active support for TEI P4
(which I will email the list about in the next couple weeks)

- Possible developments with both TEI ODD and the Roma interface

- Elena Pierazzo visiting as TEI Board Chair to discuss board
activities and financial constraints

- The possibility of Code Bounties for a rewrite of Roma or other
activities

- The discussion of the use of @rend and the ticket (see below)
concerning it

We processed around 60 or so tickets, where 'processed' in this
case might range from some or all of the steps in having
reviewed, discussed, assigned, decided, and implemented (or
rejected) the ticket. In some cases decisions were easy, in other
cases argued fervently, and of course there were those where no
clear consensus was able to be reached.

Some tickets I found notable or interesting that we processed
include:

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3565152 on referencing the
application/tei+xml IANA registration in the guidelines

- http://purl.org/TEI/Bug/3439980 on the content model of
<signed> (which will also be looked at by our ad hoc div.liminal
working group)

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3504690 more on floatingDiv (still
rejected pending new concrete arguments for it)

- http://purl.org/TEI/bug/3439587 on the content models of <bibl>
and <imprint>

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3555191 on a new element for cited
ranges in bibliographic records

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3284816 on rationalising att.canonical
usage on members of model.persTraitLike

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3561933 on a proposal for a location for
storing standoff markup

- http://purl.org/TEI/BUGS/3532022 on whether <lg> should be
allowed inside <p>

- http://purl.org/TEI/FR/3519866 confirming the nature of @rend
as sequence-indeterminate bag of space-separated tokens, but
creation of a new @style attribute for those who wish to record
rendering of the source document in-line in a formal language
rather than use @rendition

...among many other tickets. (Others might have chosen other
tickets, see the minutes above for a full list.)

The TEI Technical Council is preparing to make a release of the
Guidelines (including some but certainly not all of these
changes) before the TEI Conference and Members Meeting
http://idhmc.tamu.edu/teiconference/ in early November 2012. I
would encourage readers of TEI-L to attend and also encourage
your institutions to become members of the TEI Consortium
http://www.tei-c.org/Membership/join.xml if at all possible so
the Consortium can continue to develop and support the Guidelines.

James Cummings
Chair of the TEI Technical Council

--
Dr James Cummings, [log in to unmask]
Research Support, IT Services, University of Oxford