Dear Jon,
If you want to record the written marks (i.e., if your general approach
is "documentary") <metamark> could well fit to your needs.
To encode the *meaning* of the marks (the correction of the separate
spelling) seems less trivial. I would always hesitate to add and delete
mere whitespace (as Syd suggested) and prefer the following:
<subst>
     <del>quia etoliam</del>
     <add>qui aetoliam</add>
</subst>
This would be a more "text-focussed" way of encoding
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/readme-2.0.html), admittedly.

Gerrit

--
Gerrit Brüning, M.A.
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Historisch-kritische Edition von Goethes Faust | Genetic Edition of Goethe's Faust | faustedition.net

Freies Deutsches Hochstift | Großer Hirschgraben 23-25 | 60311 Frankfurt am Main | Fon +49(0)69-13880-292