I'm a new member of the list. Please excuse me if my question has already been covered here. I couldn't find it in the archives.

I'm transcribing a medieval Latin manuscript that has two distinct hands. One of them wrote the text, the other one corrected the first one's work. I'm having difficulty figuring out how to encode the second hand's interventions. They mainly take the form of marks that either join two letters originally and incorrectly separated by a space or separate two letters originally and incorrectly joined.

For example, the first hand wrote quia etoliam, but the second hand corrected that to qui aetoliam by inserting a slash between the "i" and "a" in the original quia and by drawing a line joining the "a" with the "e" of the original etoliam

The <metamark> element seems almost, but not quite, right here, since it would be cumbersome to use the @target or @span attributes every time this happens. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon Reynolds