Hello together,

I am looking for a best practice advice.

We have a special problem implementing TEI P5 for our journal production (Rg Rechtsgeschichte - Legal History). We have an article with a structure like this:

Introduction
Part I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Part II
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

In TEI I would encode this like

   <head> Introduction </head>
    <head> Part I </head>
      <head> Chapter 1 </head>
      <head> Chapter 2 </head>
    <head> Part II </head>
       <head> Chapter 3 </head>
       <head> Chapter 4 </head>

Transforming this into xhtml with automatic numbering it would result in something like:

1 Introduction
2 Part I
2.1 Chapter 1
2.2 Chapter 2
3 Part II
3.1 Chapter 3
3.2 Chapter 4

We could exempt the Introduction from counting by giving it a @rend="none" attribut, but with the Part I and Part II it is more difficult, because Chapter counting and formatting depends on how deep the <head> element is in the <div> tree (e.g. child of a div in a div).

N.B.: We do want to have the flexibility of autonumbering since often authors want to include or delete a section heading at last minute and we don't want to manually renumber in that case everything by hand. And depending from the position in the cascaded div tree the formating of the heading changes as well...

Thank you for any suggestion

Olaf Berg
Publikationsmanager
Max-Planck-Institut für europäische Rechtsgeschichte
Hausener Weg 120
60489 Frankfurt am Main
+49(0)69/789 78-200