I recall some time ago a conversation on the list about those 2-and-3
letter language abbreviation codes (e.g., ISO 639-3
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp), and how there was some
convention for specifying extensions or special-use codes (kinda like
"*/vnd.*"  mime types or "X-" http headers). I cannot now find that
conversation nor any relevant standards documents; does anybody know
what I'm talking about, or where I might find such information? I
recently find myself in the midst of two different projects which
require the use of language codes and would benefit from not being
restricted to a list of previously studied natural languages.

-l.