Oh, I missed the slang part of the question because I got all excited over
chengyu.

Yes, slang is different, and kind of hard to predict.  It doesn't follow
terribly regular rules, and is ephemeral and often an in-group way of
speaking to indicate membership more than to communicate.  Slang also ends
up, sometimes, in the dominant language and people just forget it's slang
(like "to edit" as a verb or "caballo" for "horse" in Spanish).

"Slang" is a pretty imprecise term, actually, and some linguists avoid it
as imprecise or pejorative.

Slang rarely effects syntax and morphology, but often vocabulary.
 Sometimes, words are clipped or repurposed.  Often meanings are switched
to their opposites ('bad' for good, or more contemporarily, "sick").
 Sometimes borrowings from other cultures make their way into slang.  Other
times, they're elaborate metaphors ("grills" for jewelry worn on the teeth,
meant, I think, to invoke the grill of a car).

order from Finishing Line
and