Douglas Koller, On 10/10/2012 01:52:
> [2]/[9] and [y]/[Y] are all over the place. Love 'em. [C]/[s\], hurrah. [j\]/[z\] were a bit of a late comer to the party, as attested in the orthography, but are making up for lost time.
>
> And apologies, but [T] and [D] are a guilty conlanging pleasure. :)

I will add [D]/[dD] to my list of faves, plus also [9i] & [&y]. I think I recall Gearthnuns having [9i] & me expressing appreciation about that, long ago.

taliesin the storyteller, On 10/10/2012 20:55:
> Voiceless alveolar trill. Not used in any of my conlangs.

Me too here as well. Add [4_o] (mainly intervocalic or foot-internal) & [r_o] (mainly word-initial or foot-initial) to my list.

Christian Thalmann, On 12/10/2012 06:06:
> I'm afraid I'll have to join the chorus on [Z]. That's just got to be
> the sexiest consonant out there.

"Sexy" is a good description for it. Both because of its intrinsic aesthetic properties and because lots of French words start with [Z] and French is very very sexy.

BPJ, On 12/10/2012 14:12:
> My favorite *phone* is definitely [ɬ]. I discovered it
> on my own when I was twelve or so, used as an ideophone
> for cold.

/hl/, [ɬ],  is a phonaestheme for cold in Livagian too.

Patrick Dunn, On 10/10/2012 05:36:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Alex Fink<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 01:03:00 +0100, And Rosta<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>
>>> My favourite phones are [Z] and [E]. Both have a pinky orange colour, [E]
>> more like flame and [Z] velvet texture (like [D], which is black) with
>> maybe more of a rusty or raspberry-blonde hue.
>>
>> I would entirely relish reading an annotated IPA chart if you ever
>> happened to prepare one!
>>

> Hell yeah!  I'd love to see that.

So would I, but I've never done one. Moreover, I wouldn't trust it until I'd done the exercise three times with a year or two in between, to check the associations are consistent and not delusional. I don't automatically 'see' orange when I hear [E], just as I don't automatically 'see' the colour orange when I taste oranges; the associations become conscious only when I ask myself "What colour is [such and such a word/sound/letter]".

> I'm mildly synesthetic with entire languages.  They have flavors, and
> that's not a metaphor.  I can actually taste them very, very faintly.

I'm way less synaesthetic than this, which seems much stronger than "mild" synaesthesia. Colour-based synaesthesia is pretty common -- from asking classes of students over the years, I'd guess in the range of 2--5% for associations between colours and some kind of linguistic object. There are also cross-subject patterns of associations, the strongest being /a/ & <A> with red.

> Are you a synaesthete?

Only with colours and sounds/letters/words. Also textures and sounds -- maybe more iconic than synaesthetic?

> I have a rather vague tendency in that direction. I read somewhere
> that there is a recurring pattern of vowel-space to color-space
> association across different synaesthetes:
>
> i      y     u
> yellow green blue
>
> e      ə    o
> orange gray violet

>        red
>
> My associations certainly fit, except that for me
> [ə] is brown and [ɨ] is gray.

That chart makes a lot of sense, but my own associations make much less sense:

  i      y          u
  yellow grey/mauve purple

  e      ə          o
  orange brown      bluegreen

         red

> Among the consonants, to me, voiceless fricatives are shades of gray
> with [s] being white. They are also cold while voiced frics are
> reddish and warm.

Voiced sibilants are reddish and warm, anterior voiced fricatives are dark and soft/smooth. Voiceless sibilants are bluegreen. Probably [T] is too, tho _Thursday_ is dark brown. f is mustard, light yellowish brown. I suspect reading this stuff is like listening to people tell you about their dreams...

Leonardo Castro, On 12/10/2012 18:41:
> To me, the vowels look like this:
>
>      i                        y                   u
>      yellow       moss-green       green
>
>      e                      ə                     o
>      orange         brown              blue
>
>      {                       a                     Q
>     orange-red      red                 violet

That's amazingly coherent! If I had such coherent intuitions, I would take my own putative synaesthesia more seriously, i.e. as based on some profound acousticochromatic synaesthetic iconicities rather than as apparently arbitrary associations perhaps linked to developmental happenstance.

Padraic Brown, On 14/10/2012 01:10:
> Interesting. Hadn't really thought about it, but for me, flip the chart
> left to right. Or right to left, depending:
>
> i                      u
> blue                   yellow
>            glas
> e                      o
> violet                 orange
>            red

This has the commonest A--red association, but the rest are very odd. Most people are synaesthetic enough to feel that back vowels are darker and front vowels lighter, which puts you back-to-front from the mainstream -- a state of affairs to which you are doubtless habituated.

A. da Mek, On 15/10/2012 07:52:
> Blue has highest frequency and shortest wavelenght, whereas red has
> lowest frequency and longest wavelenght, thus the natural assotiation
> of wovels with colors is:
>
> i Blue     ü Magenta u Red
> ï Azure              ů Orange
> e Cyan     ö White   o Yellow
> ä Tyrquise           å Lime
>            a Green

How do you work this out? Frequency and wavelength are independent, and you're linking them with first and second formants? I don't follow...

--And.