> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 00:08:29 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Yemoran Expressions
> To: [log in to unmask]

> You can twist existing words by modifying their sound, squishing two existing words together "manbag" (male handbag), "hatinator" (a cross between a hat and a fascinator) or using them differently "scally" (meaning miscreant, but actually meaning "Liverpudlian" but actually meaning a type of stew)

Devoid of this explanation, I would have guessed that "scally", as a miscreant, was a truncated form of "scallywag/scallawag". Not being from the UK, I wouldn't have guessed a Liverpool connection, and a stew?! Perhaps then, a new verb could be coined: "The mere thought of what a British stew might taste like made her projectile scally all over the front of her blouse." :)

Cheap shot at British cuisine, apologies.

Kou