2012/10/17 And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

>  Likewise, wherever I go in the USA, I expect the local evening news
>> to be delivered in the local regional accent.  It would be odd to
>> visit Indianapolis and hear the weather forecast on the radio given
>> in a Chinese accent (even an intelligible one).

Aren't there TV programs that are delivered in the whole country?
In Brazil, most nation-wide TV programs are broadcasted from
Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, but they try to "neutralize" the accent,
i.e., they adopt an "average" pronunciation, avoiding phones
associated with specific regions (including Rio and São Paulo).
So, they don't pronounce the syllable final -s of Rio nor syllable final
-r of São Paulo and so on. Then, I suspect that standard Brazilian
Portuguese
is not really pronounced anywhere outside television and telemarketing.