That's what Adam is talking about.  Look at a few expressions in English:

"I'm feeling down today."
"I'm on cloud nine."
"I'm high on life."
"I'm down in the dumps."

All of these grow out of a common conceptual metaphor in English (and,
probably, universally among bipedal sentients, I'd say): UP IS HAPPY; DOWN
IS SAD

(Pardon the all caps, but that's the unfortunate convention)

So that's one way of coming up with such expressions.  For example, in
Oasa, the expression "He is reading his feet" is an idiom meaning "He is
unhappy."

Another source of much inspiration is the Chinese chengyu, or four word
phrase.  These are idioms that almost always have four characters (so not
necessarily four words -- in fact, in translation, usually many more) and
are often abbreviations or allusions to famous pieces of literature.  For
example

*sān rén chéng hǔ  (Three men make a tiger)*
*
*
Literally, this is nonsense, but it's an allusion to a story about a report
of a tiger bothering a distant village.  One person reporting it might be
rumor, two might still be rumor, but if three people report it, it gets
believed.  In the original story, this was a parable about how people will
believe an absurd thing if enough people repeat the lie.  So now it's used
in similar situations.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_men_make_a_tiger

You could have something similar, if develop a few short stories from your
culture and then translate key phrases into your conlang.

order from Finishing Line
and