> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 20:53:22 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Translation: Lovecraft's "Night Gaunts"
> To: [log in to unmask]

>                Lovecraft is a very evocative writer.   However, his use of
> imagery was a challenge to translate.  What exactly did he mean by “obscene
> clutch that titillates and stings” ?  And as for “puffed Shoggoths,”
> perhaps they’re different to regular Shoggoths.  Maybe a bit like how Cocoa
> Puffs are different to regular cocoa, I guess.

>                 I translated “obscene clutch that titillates and stings” as
> “With gaunt claws that forcefully tickle and sting me.”

>                 Why Night-Gaunts should want to tickle their victims, I
> cannot say.

I took it to mean that you don't want to go with them, but at the same time you kinda do. Like sticking your tongue into a canker or sore tooth, you know it ain't gonna be pleasant, but you just can't help yourself. ("Don't do it... Don't do it... Resist....OW!"). Or perhaps more à propos, sitting through a horror film with your eyes covered, but cracking your fingers now and again.

I imagine a gluttonous, rapacious, "puffed" Shoggoth is more horrifying than your garden variety Shoggoth, not unlike a children's breakfast cereal.

I'm still working on the Géarthnuns version. Thanks, Zach, for introducing this. Lovecraft was new to me.

Meanwhile, the webpage I'm working off of has an artist's rendering of the Night Gaunts, and they look an *awful* lot like some creatures I saw flying about in a Dr. Who installment a while back. There has been talk here recently of retreading as the new creativity, but Geez! I should think stuff like that would prompt lawsuits a-go-go. It's well nigh impossible to read TV final credits these days if your prone to that, so perhaps credit was given where credit was due, but I'm inclined to doubt it. Or perhaps the connection is merely mine.
Kou