Yup, that's a common misreading.  But it is a misreading.  Whether or not a
particular reader knows a word doesn't change the nature of a text, only of
the reader's interpretation.  If we had this standard for all reading, then
"In a Station of the Metro" would be about ghosts.

--Patrick

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Herman Miller, On 15/11/2012 02:11:
>
>> On 11/14/2012 3:22 AM, R A Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I know of no uses of "to blow" with a passive meaning, i.e. "are
>>> being blown."
>>>

>> "The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind..." comes to mind.
>>

> Indeed. If you have access to the OED, it's _blow_ v.1 sense 12b. The
> earliest citations are:
>
> 1842   Tennyson Goose xiii, in Poems (new ed.) I. 233   Her cap blew off,
> her gown blew up.
>
> 1842   Tennyson Day-dream in Poems (new ed.) II. 156   The hedge broke in,
> the banner blew.
>
> The version of _In Flanders Field_ I'd known has _grow_ at the end of the
> first line, but on first reading the version with _blow_ (in this thread),
> I had an image of the poppies fluttering gently in the breeze, like banners
> or pennants.
>
> --And.

order from Finishing Line
and