On 20 November 2012 06:07, Njenfalgar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In the French of my family (Belgium) it's still quite alive in "puis-je
> avoir" (could pass me), although I can't guarantee it is going to be for
> much longer. "Tu me passes" is quite common.

It seems that once again, the old wisdom that the periphery of a
language-speaking region tends to be more conservative than its heart rings
true. I think my family (Normandy) may still have a passive knowledge of
"puis-je" (at least those that actually read books), but I'm pretty sure
they've never used it in their lives. "Tu me passes" would be standard in
informal settings. In more formal settings, I'd expect something like
"Est-ce que vous pouvez me passer". And in very formal settings, we'd
switch to a more Written French-way of talking, saying something like
"Pourriez-vous me passer".
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/