On 11/15/2012 11:15 AM, Leonardo Castro wrote:

> I have another question related to this one:
>
> Do you guys usually allow verbs that can have nouns, events or other verbs
> as arguments?
> Or do you prefer to have different verbs for each type of argument?
>
> For instance, the verb "to like" can have, as its object,
>
> (1) a noun: "I like ice cream.";
> (2) an event: "I like that you know it.";
> (3) another verb: "I like to swim.".

Tirelat has a derivational suffix -ri to make nouns from verbs, so a
sentence like "I like to swim" would be "I like swimming" (jĕšoblanen my
xełiri). You could also use -ri for "knowing" (nasuri), and with a
possessive prefix "your knowing" (rĕnasuri), but Tirelat also has an
equivalent of "that" for joining two clauses. In this case I think
Tirelat would use different verbs for "I like ice cream / swimming"
(šobla "enjoy") vs. "I like that you know it" (probably mahvi "be
happy"). The word for "that" (pa) is considered a conjunction, so it
doesn't matter if the verb is transitive or not: you can say "I am happy
that you know it" (intransitive) as easily as "I know that you know it"
(transitive).

jĕšoblanen my xełiri "I like (enjoy) ice cream."

jĕšoblanen my rĕnasuri u jah "I like (enjoy) your knowing that." or
jĕmahvinen pa rĕnasujaz my jah "I like (am happy) that you know that."

jĕšoblanen my xełiri "I like (enjoy) swimming."