On 21 November 2012 13:20, Douglas Koller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > That's indeed basically what it is. Doesn't change the fact that generic
> > negation in Written French needs *both* "ne" and "pas" to work, and all
> > other forms of negation need something besides "ne" ("ne" can never be
> used
> > alone to indicate negation. At least, it hasn't been able to do so since
> > the 19th century). So it's still double negation.
>
> Well, I'm going to continue saying "Si je ne me trompe" and "Tu n'oserais"
> with all the impunity of a non-native speaker, and those who would tut-tut
> that can put it in their pipe and smoke it elle là eux. :)

Your problem if you're not understood, or ridiculed for your archaic
speech, or plainly ignored for not making an effort to speak like actual
people do. Don't forget French people tend to ignore foreigners already.
Don't give them additional ammo to justify their behaviour!
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/