On 17 Nov 2012, at 04:46, Ph. D. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I know Irish has "conjugated" prepositions: ag = at, agam = at me, agat = at you.
>
> But how do they express a noun and pronoun together as the object of a preposition?
>
> Seán and I have a car = Tá carr ag Seán agus agam  ??

"Tá carr agamsa agus ag Seán."

On 19 Nov 2012, at 01:26, Eric Christopherson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Are Celtic-style (or Semitic-style, if those show the same phenomenon) "conjugated prepositions" truly conjugated -- in the sense that distinguishes conjugated verbs from verbs with cliticized pronouns?

Yes.

Le 'with': 1 liom, 2 leat, 3m leis, 3f léi, 1 linn, 2 libh, 3 leo.

I 'in': 1 ionam, 2 ionat, 3m ann, 3f inti; 1 ionainn, 2 ionaibh, 3 iontu.

> I forgot to clarify a little bit -- my question is basically whether the term "conjugated" with reference to the Celtic pronouns is actually used in an accepted linguistic sense, or if it's just a handy not-quite-accurate label.

The usual terms are "conjugated prepositions", "inflected prepositions", or "prepositional pronouns" The latter term is common, but I don't think it is the better term. These are prepositions which are inflected for person, not pronouns that are "prepositionalized".

> (Of course, there might be less agreement on what "conjugation" means w.r.t. verbs than I would imagine.)

Inflection for person, tense, and or mood, I expect.