On 19 November 2012 17:21, Wm Annis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > "C'est qui qui les a trouvées ces clefs ?": "who the hell found those
> > keys?", literally "it is who who found them those keys?".
>
> How long before we can just go ahead and say that French has
> polypersonal agreement?

I've been on record saying that it already has. Not everyone totally agrees
yet, although even the most conservative descriptivists agree that it's
well on its way to reach that point (prescriptivists, as usual, just ignore
all the signals and keep pretending French is just a thinly disguised
Latin). The use of bits and pieces of Written French in Spoken French does
muddy the picture somewhat though. But pure Spoken French definitely has
polypersonal agreement for subject, object and indirect object, including
the use of the indirect object agreement to include the listener in the
sentence, even when they are not part of the action described (this
phenomenon is found in other languages, like Basque).
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/