On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:54:29 -0600, Wm Annis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>1) Definiteness Tests.  There are some very subtle matters that
>float around under this.  For example, in Ancient Greek, a definite
>article in front of a family relation is assumed to be inalienably
>possessed by the subject of the clause.  .  Is definiteness marking
>used with names?  with places?  with generalities?

I tend not to mark names, places, and generalities as explicitly definite. What's especially tricky is distinguishing definite phrases from non-referntial ones when there's no definite article or affix.

>2) Co-referentiality Tests.  If you have two entities of equal animacy,
>agency and gender, how to you keep track of who's doing what to
>whom?  Special anaphora (obviation, for example)?  Repetition of
>names?  Something else?

I assume that speakers of my language use the head noun of one or both phrases anaphorically, or the distinguishing modifier where the head noun is the same.

>3) Discourse Cohesion.  How does the language handle discourse
>repair?  Interruption and resumption of a topic?  Introduction of new
>topics (might relate to the definiteness tests)?  Prepare your listener
>for expected or unexpected information?  For distressing information?
>Etc...

I never get quite this far with my languages.

>All of these matters come up once you start to translate a larger
>text, but I still sometimes wish I had smaller test cases to run
>aground on first,

For #3, it takes a larger text of a specific nature.

>especially to make sure I'm paining myself into a corner with this or that strategy.

surely not!